Any questions?


Who is an Apex Social Care Professional?

Our candidates have completed a degree or have training in educational, medical or therapeutic fields. They are trained in the fields of occupational therapy, physical therapy, ABA therapy, speech therapy, nursing or as CNAs, support workers, teachers, special educators, or social workers. They live with an American or Australian family and provide full-time live-in childcare. Our Care Professionals are highly motivated to apply their skills and training to support the children of their host families in their daily lives, as they recognize the exponential growth in their own professional learning at the same time.

You want to listen to a testimonial from US Care Professional and ABA Therapist Olivia? You can find a video here. Also make sure to scroll through our testimonial page here.

What is the educational component of the program?

As an Apex Social Care Professional, you are gaining an experiential education on a daily basis. During the Apex Academy you will be asked to set personal and professional goals for your year as a Care Professional based on the position you have accepted and the children you will be working with. We support you gaining additional skills during your time as a live-in Care Professional and will assist you in adding references to your resume to describe the work you do with us.  

Apex has partnered with a University that offers nationally ranked online Masters and certificate programs in applied behavior analysis, special education and other education specialties.

You will have the opportunity to earn a Master’s degree online over the course of your placement if this is one of your goals! In addition, your host family will contribute a $500 stipend towards continuing education courses you may take online or in the local community. 

What does it mean to be an Apex Care Professional ?

Live with a family to provide in-home support and put your education, therapy, or social knowledge and nurturing background to work in a practical setting. This is a unique gap year opportunity to integrate your area of interest into a child’s daily life and gain added experience working with their specialized team of educators and therapists. In return, you get an opportunity to relocate within the US or Australia, receive free room and board, an hourly wage to support additional living needs, and paid days off. This truly is a unique experience you won’t forget!

Is there an age requirement?

You must be at least 18 years old to apply to become a live-in Care Professional for placement in the US. For those interested in working in Australia, the Working Holiday visa requires you to be between the ages of 18 – 30 years old (you must be in the country before your 31st birthday).

How much childcare experience do I need to have?

Apex Social requires a minimum 400 hours of experience in childcare. Care for children, up to age 18 in home, classroom, therapy or daycare settings can qualify as childcare experience. Care for siblings or other relatives does not qualify.

Can I choose my family?

Yes! It is important that you and your family make the decision to match together. Once you’ve completed your application, your profile will be available to families, and you will also have access to reviewing profiles of host families. You will be introduced to our Matching Team in the US or Australia who will personally work with you to introduce you to compatible host families. You’ll have an opportunity to interview with prospective families, via video – a great way to learn about the family’s care needs, lifestyle and personality.

Why do people choose to be a live-in Care Professional?

Our previous participants believe their work experience with an Apex Social family has helped them to grow both professionally and personally. They have gained a greater focus into an area they want to specialize in and have learned additional skills from the child’s team of therapists. Our Care Professionals enjoyed the opportunity to explore a new city, and have become more mature, confident and independent.

How much paid vacation do I get?

Care Professionals placed in the US will receive two weeks of paid vacation during the year. Australia participants receive four weeks paid vacation during the year.

What is the time commitment?

We request a one-year commitment. We feel that this amount of time provides for the greatest amount of professional and personal growth for a live-in care professional while providing the stability a child with special needs requires.

Can I extend my employment beyond the minimum commitment?

In the US, you may extend your employment beyond the one-year commitment. For Australia, the program is limited to one year due to visa limitations.

Can I get health insurance?

Health insurance can be a negotiated benefit as part of your compensation package in the US. A travel medical insurance policy is included on the Australia program.