The tax information contained on this website is not meant to be exhaustive and is not meant to be tax advice. We are providing introductory information for U.S. income tax requirements of au pairs working in the US on J-1 visas. If you have any questions about your tax obligation you should speak with a professional tax advisor or Certified Public Accountant. Please note that PROaupair, our staff, and Area Directors are not able to provide any additional guidance or tax advice.

Tax Information and Resources for Professional Au Pairs

It’s tax season and Apex PROaupair would like to provide you with some introductory information about what you can expect. Below please find some frequently asked questions about tax returns.

When should I file a U.S. tax return?

U.S. tax returns can start being filed on January 27, 2020 and must be filed no later than April 15, 2020. According to the IRS, E-File is not an option for au pairs. Nonresident aliens must mail their return to the IRS.

Check out our tax resource for professional au pairs.

PROaupair has teamed up with Sprintax, an easy-to-use online tool to prepare your tax return. When you set up an account with Sprintax, you can easily prepare fully compliant Federal and State tax returns online. As a Care Professional with Apex Social, you will receive a $10 discount off the processing fee. Enter the code SpTx2019AUP301F10 in the discount code box on the payment page at the end of the process.

Sprintax has 24/7 Live Chat customer service to guide you through the process.

Want to file yourself?

Apex cannot provide tax filing advice. However, the IRS website explains the process and required forms.  However, Apex recommends seeking the advice of a tax specialist or using one of the many online tax tools, such as Sprintax, to assist filing your return.

Do I need to include a W2 form with my tax filing?

No, according to the IRS (Website) au pairs are non-resident aliens and are not entitled to the Itemized Deduction benefit on the 1040NR-EZ.

Will I owe taxes?

It is important to understand that 2018 tax rules have changed based upon the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The biggest change is that there is no longer a federal exemption for nonresident aliens meaning that every dollar earned by a nonresident alien is subject to federal income tax.

How much should I save for taxes?

Although each situation is different and unique to you, as a general rule, you should set aside around 10% to 15% of the au pair income you make in the U.S. to cover federal taxes owed. The actual amount you need to pay will vary based on a number of factors.

Do I have to pay state income tax?

In addition to paying federal income tax, some au pairs may be required to pay state income tax, depending on the state they live(d) in. Check the state’s tax revenue website for details.

Am I eligible for any Tax Treaty benefit as referenced on line J?

No. Since au pairs are not considered full-time “students” by the IRS they are not eligible for any Tax Treaty benefit their home country may have with the United States. You may skip this question by indicating "not applicable".


Additional Links and Resources: